Monday, March 26, 2012

Putting in the time

Is a lot easier when you just allow yourself to do it, rather than force yourself. When I stretch, I'm often limited by my outlook towards stretching. It's work. It's something that has to be done. And therefore, I struggle against it and procrastinate. But today, I seemed to turn a corner in my desire for self improvement. I woke up feeling unusually energized, and decided to do various upper and lower body exercises. School went by with the usual level of mild intellectual stimulation, and being a Monday, my schedule gave me plenty of time to warm up before Mr. Richard Sias' trainee A class. Mr. Richard had quite a career as a professional dancer, and great teacher at the National Ballet of Canada. He is retired, and only teaches on Mondays, but I cherish his class. I worked hard, and got a lot out of the class, my most notable correction to lengthen my body in positions so as to take advantage of my proportions.

In the next class, a partnering class also taught by Richard, we learned part of the Bluebird pas. I worked with a friend of mine, a tall girl, who I've been working with increasingly due to my height. Today, I felt really good about my partnering class, and having a good partner really helps. And this is not always about ideal size, etc. One of the best things about my partner is that she feels free to give corrections, which is great. Getting constructive criticism from a partner is the best way to learn that I've discovered.

After that, I spent just under an hour of my break stretching in an empty studio. This was a really rewarding experience. By the end of the day, after this extra application, and a ballet class and men's class with Peter, I asked Peter to push on my hip while I did my split, and I got to the floor. My back leg is still a little bent but I'm closer than I've ever been. Some more days like this one, and I'll have my splits before I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment