Friday, October 21, 2011

The reality of it

1.) Contrary to popular belief, not all ballet boys are gay. I am completely straight, and that's me. I don't have a problem with people who aren't, it's just my preference. I honestly can't blame people for ignorantly believing that ballet dancers are gay because the truth is that a lot of them are. I'm not encouraging stereotyping, but the majority of ballet guys are gay and so I can understand why outsiders would make the assumption. However, what bothers me is when people do not respect such an obviously fragile topic. People need to respect the sexuality of others, and need to take their word for it.

Over the years, I have taken a lot of crap for being a dancer. That's just the way kids are. I never used to like telling people that I was a ballet dancer so i avoided the subject entirely. As my peers have matured over the past few years, I've grown completely comfortable with it. I tell people that I'm a dancer and that I'm straight and people accept it openly.

2.) Another reality of the dance world is that there are quite a lot of smokers and drinkers. I've seen quite a few documentaries about professional dancers, and some of the principals were sharing a bottle before going on stage. And they all  party after the show. This is obviously something to be wary of because getting introduced to the wrong things at the wrong time could be damaging.

3.) And lastly, I would like to broach the subject that many would probably rather not admit. We have American Idol to thank. Because that competition led to shows such as So you think you can dance, etc. and this has led to popular interest in dance. Which has been benefitial to the industry.

4.) This is an unquestionable reality.


Dancers have short careers. We have to train intensely from as early as possible, and few of us will keep a professional career going past 40. It's just the way of it. However, when you've dedicated your life to something, just abandoning it at middle age is hard to do. So most artistic directors you will find were once professional if not principal dancers.



Our injuries are common. Our opportunities few. Our careers short.
But you don't do this because it's easy. You do this because you want it. You need it.

You love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment