Monday, October 17, 2011

My name is Michael Hill, and I am training to be a professional ballet dancer. In this blog, I hope to dispell myths, catalog my progress, and gain information on this. For starters, I'll give a little background info on me as a dancer:

5 years old- started dancing at the Joffrey ballet school in Manhattan. Danced there for a couple years, under Miss Stephanie, Miss Liz, and others.

At around age 7- I danced at the Alvin Ailey school in Manhattan. While the ballet training was good, and the chance to take African was fun, it wasn't really working out and so I went back to Joffrey.

Age 9- In 2005, my family and I moved out of NYC, and went upstate to Ithaca, NY. I began dancing at the Ithaca Ballet. This was a very different experience. The other schools were all about uniforms, and recitals. This was a more relaxed, performance based experience. I performed in Nutcracker, among other shows, every year, and this is what really got me into dance. I was taught at first by Miss Gunilla, but later by ex-Houston ballet dancer Johann Studier and IB artistic director Cindy Reid. I danced there from 2005 until the end of the school year in 2010 (around 5 months ago).

This summer I attended the Next Generation Ballet camp in Tampa, Fl, under Peter Stark. I am now attending the year round program.


This is the thesis statement, if you will, of my blog and I plan to elaborate on all of my experiences as the blog goes on.

Welcome to the Ballet Boy Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment