Sunday, October 23, 2011

Inspiration: From tv as well as practice

I do not regret my decision to go to SAB. I've missed out on a whole year of intense training, that would have made me a stronger dancer. But I don't regret. Because it wasn't the right decision at the time. Though I knew it was a really great opportunity, I didn't want to go. My heart was in my school, friends, and hometown. And that's ok. But over that year, my love of dance grew. And I found something that is necessary for anyone to pursue a dream; inspiration.

My father is a documentary buff. I won't lie, I didn't always like it. Sometimes I would have much rather watch a movie or an episode of Family Guy than a documentary about a kid from the Royal Ballet. But he made me sit down and watch a couple. And I was hooked. Soon, I discovered a great site called "Dance Channel". I watched pieces choreographed by Christopher Wheeldon. I saw master classes taught for Carlos Acosta. I saw ballets from Royal, ABT. I went to see "Mao's Last Dancer". And the underlying theme of viewing all of this, is an thought that recurred every time I did: "I wish I could do that."

I thought than in turning down SAB, I had turned down my chance at a career as a dancer. And last spring, I began talking to my parents about this. They said that they would support me if I wanted to try, but that this would probably be the year that would decide what my chances were.

And then, in my watching of ballet videos, I found two dancers that changed my life.

The first was in a documentary about the English National Ballet. A 26 year old soloist was getting a chance to do the principal role of Romeo and Romeo & Juliet. And that was reassuring. Not all of the principals out there had their roles starting at 18 or 19. Some come a little later. I don't remember this dancer's name, and I've been trying to find him. But so far I haven't.

Another concern of mine was my height. I'm likely to be 6'3'' if not more. And looking at Baryshnikov and others, I thought that dancers had to be small. Then I saw a short about David Hallberg. Not only did he only start training when he was 14, but he's tall. He was a principal with ABT(although now he's moved to Russia to dance with the Bolshoi).  He made me believe that I had a chance.

And so, in the late spring (way too late to be doing this), my dad began sending out emails to people in the dance world. I got accepted into a few places, but only some give scholarships. I quote Peter Stark (the other day in rehearsal): "Michael, I accepted you with a full scholarship into my summer program because I saw a picture of you. You have a dancer's body. Show off your legs when you dance".
(Paraphrasing)

And so I went to the Next Generation Ballet summer intensive at the Patel Conservatory. And here I am.

2 comments:

  1. you mean your decison NOT to go to SAB :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you mention it, i do remember coming out of the movie and you saying "now that makes me want to be a professional dancer". I never thought anything of it but I guess it was true.

    ReplyDelete